Task 5 - Guidelines for the elaboration of management plans
Guidelines have been proposed by the APAL for a framework to be used for management of sensitive coastal sites.
To define the series of actions to take to assure integrated and sustainable management of site. These are:
- the characterisation of the natural site that is object of the management plan;
- the choice of management scenarios;
- the elaboration of the detailed management schema of the scenario chosen;
- the elaboration of a monitoring program.
- a collection of information on physical features, land use, site specificity, landscape, bio-diversity, archaeology, sensitivity and threats;
- a diagnostic both environmental and ecological, to estimate balance, risks, evolutionary tendencies and potentialities in a context of sustainable development.
Choice of management scenarios
This will be made on the basis of the data collected; at least two scenarios will be compared aiming at protection and/or conservation and at the realisation and enhancement of the value of the site; a socio-economic role will be attributed to the site compatible with its ecological specificity. The scenarios have to be agreed with local authorities.
Elaboration of a management plan
This shall define actions necessary for the conservation of natural, cultural and landscape heritage of the site without constrain its economic and social development. Actions are:
- management actions for the realisation and enhancement of the value of the site;
- technical, correction and mitigation measures to assure integration of management;
- directions for site protection;
- interrelationships among institutions, actual and potential actors of management;
- definition of indicators of site evolution and their monitoring;
- logistics needs to assure management monitoring;
- cost estimation;
- impact study both environmental and socio-economic.
Elaboration of a monitoring program
A monitoring program should be part of the plan to assure continuity.