Four case studies of national relevance were chosen along the North African coasts and two on southern European coasts, to start a discussion on Mediterranean common issues concerning management of fresh and transition water bodies, contributing to the international debate on water management.
Preliminary surveys identified the following six case study sites as representative for issue in the Mediterranean coastal areas:
- Egyptian Site: Maryut Lake, Alexandria
- Italian Site: the Grosseto plain
- Moroccan Sites: Oued Laou Basin and Oued Tahaddart Lagoon
- Spanish Site: El Hondo Lagoon, Alicante
- Tunisian Site: the low plain of Oued Medjerda and the Lagoon of Ghar El Melh
The project adopted a similar strategy both in the northern and southern Mediterranean countries, stressing the Mediterranean specificity of the water problem.